Summer is wonderful. Sunshine, hot weather, flowers; you just can't beat it. Part of enjoying the summer is enjoying patio meals, quick picnics, barbeques, and dining outside. Usually, I find myself spending less & less time in the kitchen as the weather improves. And while blue corn chips, salsa, and guacamole make a lovely quick summer treat, and coconut milk icecream at a BBQ are delicious...it's nice to have a quick meal that is full of whole grains and veggies that is sitting in your fridge ready and waiting for you to gobble up. And bonus, these less than 10 minute meals taste awesome with a side of blue corn chips, guacamole & sunshine.
So, I dare you to cook up one batch of quinoa, and mix it, mash it, flavour it, salad-ify it, wrap it, re-use it, so that you can prepare a meal in less than 10 mins., feel nourished, and enjoy the sunshine.
Step #1: Make Quinoa the Dainty Pig Way
The Dainty Pig way to prepare quinoa is to TOAST it. It makes it a million times better.
- Take 3 cups of quinoa and rinse if it's not pre-rinsed.
- Heat a saucepan or fry pan over med-high heat.
- Add the quinoa in, and stir constantly as it browns & toasts.
- It will smell delicious when you know it's done, usually about 2-3 minutes.
- Carefully (*watch for splattering), add in 6 cups of filtered water, stir around, and bring to boil.
- Add in a good pinch or two or sea salt, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Store in the fridge to make these 3 delicious meals over the next few days!
*For the following two meals, I have found that prepping a few hours or even the night before is great. You can prep and store the whole thing in a glass container with a lid in the fridge. Then, when you want to serve, give it a few shakes and it's good to go.
*I don't use much garlic in my cooking, but feel free to if you want!
Meal 1: Asparagus, Black Eyed Peas, & Pesto Quinoa Salad.