For the last few years, I was pretty sure I was allergic to almonds.
This was very sad for me, because as well as enjoying almonds in trail mixes and on top of cereal, my family's old Swiss baking recipes use more almonds than anything else . One of my favourite birthday cakes growing up were linzertortes.... made largely of almonds.
I had also become quite the fan of almond milk, and from time to time almond butter.
Then one day, my tongue starting feeling tingly whenever I ate almonds (and walnuts), and my stomach didn't feel too great. With much sadness, I tried to live an almond-free life. Even when I received my allergy test results back, and it didn't show an allergy to almonds, my body just didn't seem to tolerate them.
Fast foward 2 years to now, and for whatever reason, I seem to be able to eat roasted and soaked almonds just fine! If I eat raw almonds, my stomach makes me pay for it.
Well, i'm not complaining, because what can you make with a bowl full of soaked almonds?
Amazingly fresh and easy almond milk!
I know there are many ways to make it, and most of you probably do already, but here's how I make it and love it:
- Rinse, then soak whole raw almonds overnight (I usually soak mine about 24 hrs) in the fridge, uncovered
- Rinse off soaking water
- Blend up almonds with new fresh water (can also add in sweetener if desired)
- Strain through a sieve or nutmilk bag (I just got a nutmilk bag, and its great!)
- Keeps in fridge, for me, about 3-5 days
- I do a ratio of 1 cup almonds, to ~6 cups water.... but you can do more or less depending on the texture and thickness you like.
This almond milk has been great company to my morning bowl of
oatmeal happiness lately! And I like knowing exactly what is in my almond milk, and it is so easy to make.
Question to you: what type of milk do you drink? Cow's milk, nut milk, grain milk? I'd love to hear any of your own nut and grain milk recipes.
And don't forget.... every day can be a great day, you just need to choose it. Stop and smell the flowers, sit in the sunlight, close your eyes and take 5 deep breaths, eat a pure and simple meal. It's your life, so make it a happy one!